Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Meyer Lemon Olive Oil Cookies

Preheat oven to 350         Difficulty Rating = Easy 

Put waxed paper or parchment paper on a cookie sheet and cover lightly with olive oil.
Ingredients: 
 1/3 cup plus 2 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil plus some to prep the cookie sheets
1 egg
Zest from 2 Meyer lemons
Juice from 2 Meyer lemons (about 1/3 cup)
1 1/2 cup sugar
2 cups All Purpose Flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt - not table or fine salt.  Use either Kosher or a sea salt that's not overly chunky.
1/4 teaspoon dried sage or 1/2 teaspoon fresh sage well chopped

Note, if you can't get Meyer lemons, use regular lemons.

Preparation:
In a large bowl whisk together the Olive Oil, Egg, zest and juice from Meyer Lemon and sugar.  I did it in a counter top mixer with a whisk attachment.

Combine flour, baking powder, salt and sage, and add to olive oil mixture, scraping the sides until it all holds together. It shouldn't be too wet.

Scoop balls using a tablespoon or small ice cream scoop, and squish gently with bottom of olive oil treated glass
After it's all mixed together, scoop out about 1 Tablespoon at a time (I use a 1 T ice cream scoop to make m all the same size) and put each ball on the cookie sheet leaving about 2 inches between each one.
 
When you're done placing them, take a water glass, smear olive oil on the bottom and press each cooking ball gently to form circles. 

Bake for about 13 minutes or until the edges are golden brown.

Let them sit for a few minutes, then use a thin spatula to remove and place on a rack to cool and get crunchy.
They have exactly the citrus savor taste I was looking for with just a tiny reminder of Olive Oil Tortas from Seville, Spain.
Monday January 9, 2012 - I brought some to work, just to see if they were as good as I thought.  Notice that I'm speaking in the past tense.  Everyone love them and came back for seconds and thirds! YAY!

No comments:

Post a Comment